Mission Ministry Team
The Mission Ministry Team (sometimes known as the General Mission Outreach Team) exists to guide members and friends of John Knox Presbyterian Church in serving those in need in our community, nation and world, all in the name of Jesus Christ. This is done through hands-on projects, collection of goods, encouragement of giving to Presbyterian Special Offerings, support of those who spread the Gospel, and many other projects.
- Tutoring - every Wednesday evening during the school year
- Backpack Attack - donations of new backpacks for the upcoming school year are accepted June through the third week in July for local needy children at IPS schools #96 & #107, and North Wayne.
- Mother’s Day Robes & Slippers for Coburn Place (a local shelter for women and children from domestic violence) - donations collected in April for distribution in time for Mother's Day
- Hat and Mitten Tree at Christmas - hats, scarves, gloves, & mittens collected to help keep our local needy school children at IPS schools #96 & #107, and North Wayne warm through the winter months.
- Ronald McDonald House dinners on Labor Day weekend and New Year’s Eve - donating food and serving it to those who have children nearby in the hospital.
- Westminster Christmas Basket food collection - donating food items and helping to distribute them in baskets at Christmas time.
- Interfaith Hospitality Network - providing lunch and dinner for the homeless at a local church
- St. John’s Storehouse (food pantry) - "Food on the First" is our monthly collecting of food items on the first Sunday of each month which go to St. John's. The JKPC youth group provide assistance with stocking the shelves once a month also.
- Souper Bowl - collecting cans of soup (or monetary donations!) on Super Bowl Sunday to benefit St. John's Storehouse.
National & International Missions:
- Eye Glasses Recycling through the Lion’s Club year 'round. Collection box located by the church office.
- Missionary Support for the Simpson family - The Simpsons were our missionaries in El Salvador, who have now relocated to Birmingham, Alabama to serve as missionaries there. Click here for their most recent newsletter.
- CROP Hunger Walk - walking to raise $$$ to feed the hungry worldwide - a program of Church World Service.
- Kemmerer Village - ongoing collection of Campbell's labels and Box Tops for Education (General Mills) to support their school needs.
- RHINO Mission Trip (Rebuilding Hope in New Orleans) - volunteers working in partnership with St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church in New Orleans and Habitat for Humanity to build new homes and restore lives following Hurrican Katrina in 2005.
Presbyterian Church Special Offerings:
- One Great Hour of Sharing - collected on Palm Sunday or sometime during Lenten season - supporting the Presbyterian Hunger Program, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, and Self-Development of People.
- Pentecost Offering - collected on Pentecost Sunday (ususally in May) - supporting the Presbyterian Mission Agency and congregational ministries with children at risk (i.e. PYOCA campership scholarships, Jamison Camp, Foster Kid camp, etc.).
- Peacemaking Offering - collected on World Communion Sunday in October - supporting congregational peacemaking ministries (i.e. JKPC youth conferences and mission trips) , presbytery and synod peacemaking efforts, and the Presbyterian Peacemaking ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency.
- Christmas Joy Offering - collected during the season of Advent, usually the Sunday before Christmas - supporting the Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions and reacial ethnic education at Presbyterian-related schools and colleges.
Gleaner’s Food Bank